Skip to main content

The Next Day – David Bowie

 


Released: 2013

Label: ISO, Columbia

When I bought: 2013

David Bowie is one of my absolute favourite musicians of all time. I'll probably go more into that another time, but suffice to say I was delighted when in 2013 the first new Bowie album for 10 years appeared.

Ushered in by the sublime 'Where Are We Now?', The Next Day had no press campaign ahead of its launch. One day there wasn't a new Bowie record, then, the next day, there was.

The album kicks of with a drum whack and we're straight off into the title track. A short intro and there's the Dame, sounding as vibrant and mischievous as ever. The track bounces along before winding up and up into a chorus that demands to be shouted: "HERE I AM! NOT QUITE DYING!" 

Ah it's exhilarating. And, as we know now, depressingly apt.

It's a hell of way to kick off your 25th studio album.

And so the record rumbles on, filled with urgency, nostalgia and life.

Many of the tracks on The Next Day would fit perfectly on other Bowie albums.

'Valentine's Day' is pure glam, and Bowie, with his wonderful shape-shifting voice, channels the thin, nasal delivery of Ziggy as he sings about a school shooting.

'(You Will) Set The World On Fire' is a huge song with a glam rock guitar intro, while 'You Feel So Lonely You Could Die' has echoes of a minor key version of 'Drive In Saturday'.

It's not just early 70s Bowie that gets a retread. 

Album closer 'Heat' is abstract and sombre enough it could have been on side 2 of Low, 'How Does The Grass Grow?' has a very Berlin-era guitar solo, while 'Boss of Me' and 'Dancing Out In Space' feel like off-cuts from the Let's Dance or Tonight sessions.

Even Earthling Bowie gets a look in with the frenetic 'If You Can See Me'.

A glimpse of where Bowie would go next is seen on 'Dirty Boys', with its off beat drums and sleazy sax the characteristic of Black Star.

The album highlight though is 'Where Are We Now?'. Bowie was in his mid-60s when he recorded the track, and it shows in the most beautiful way. 

Here we have someone who has lived many lives looking back on his time in Berlin, reflecting on the places he used to go, with neither excessive nostalgia or crippling regret - just a wondering. It could only be written by someone coming to the end of their particular story, flicking through the photographs in their mind trying to work out what each truly represents in the final analysis.

The album is not perfect. At 14 tracks it's too long, and some of the tracks do lose the attention of the listener.

But in the name of all things Major Tom, it's a more vibrant, interesting, fascinating, rich album than most musicians in their mid-60s are capable of releasing. 

7/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Up – Suede

  Year Released: 1996 Label: Nude Year Bought: 2011 I know lots of people love this album, and it has got some great songs on it, but I just can't love it. It's too trebly, too thin, too cold. It kicks off with 'Trash', which is an absolutely brilliant tune with fantastic lyrics. Brett is at his absolute best here, with talk of "nowhere towns" and "cellophane sounds", and being the "litter on the breeze". I love it. But, alas we go from one of Suede's best songs to one of their worst. 'Filmstar' feels incredibly lazy. The riff is nothing, and as for the lyrics:  Filmstar propping up the bar driving in a car it looks so easy Filmstar propping up the bar driving in a car tonight These are Noel Gallagher-on-an-incredibly-bad-day lyrics.  I hate the riff, I hate the chorus, I hate the lyrics. I hate how shiny it is. It's lazy ... which is the title of the next song. This tune sees the first use on the album of the "here the...

Eye To The Telescope – KT Tunstall

Year Released: 2004 Label: Relentless Year Bought: No Idea I'm not sure why I have this record. I have no record of buying it. I've never listened to it. But then I do own two Dido albums so it's not exactly out of character of me to have it. I've always thought KT Tunstall was a pretty cool person. She's clearly talented. But this album, I just can't really connect with it. There's some good tunes on here. 'Black Horse and the Cherry Tree' is great, as is 'Suddenly I See'. 'Another Place To Fall' hints at some darker tones, and 'Under The Weather' builds nicely. But overall it's just all a bit safe. I vaguely remember reading an interview with Tunstall a few years after this came out in which she said the original mix was a lot more rough and bluesy, but the label wanted it more polished. You can definitely hear how this album could have been scuffed up. 'Stopping The Love' is a good example of that. It's a mi...

The Very Best Of Sting & The Police – Sting & The Police

Year Released: 1997 Label: A&M Year Bought: 1999 When I was a wee lad of 14 and starting to learn guitar, I loved the Police. Their tunes were a mixture of sparseness and virtuoso, and you could spend hours picking apart what Andy Summers was doing - or not doing - on the guitar. Same with Stuart Copeland's drumming. And Sting was involved as well. This collection was a regular fixture on my CD walkman - and then MiniDisc player - when I would walk to and from school, but I've not listened to it in many, many years. The first four tracks – 'Message In A Bottle', 'Can't Stand Losing You', 'Englishman in New York', and 'Every Breath You Take' – are all brilliant. Yes, even 'Englishman in New York'.  The next song, 'Seven Days', I was obsessed with when I was younger as it's in 5/4 time - which is the same time signature as the original Mission Impossible theme. Ah I am loving listening to this again. The drums are so goo...