Skip to main content

And Those Who Were Seen Dancing - Tess Parks


Released: 2022

Label: Fuzz Club

When I bought: 2023

Ok, I'm going to declare my interest very early with this one.

Tess Parks is a really good friend of my wife, so objectivity will probably go out the window. She's a really lovely person - warm, generous of spirit, engaging and thoughtful. And Tess isn't bad either.

Tess is Canadian born, but after moving to London she was signed by one of Alan McGee's post-Creation labels, before ending up on Fuzz Club (along with seemingly millions of other amazing artists).

I first met Tess at an in-store gig in the Notting Hill branch of Rough Trade, and she definitely has a loyal following - the place was rammed.

'And Those Who Were Seen Dancing' is her second solo album. Her first, 'Blood Hot' came out in 2013, and then she made two albums with the mercurial Anton Newcombe from The Brian Jonestown Massacre. 

You can see why those two were a natural fit for a collaboration. Tess's music plays in the psychedelic genre, with introspective lyrics and a thick sound.

Tess is also a massive Oasis fan, and you can hear the influence of the Gallaghers on the edges of her music - the chord changes, the little guitar licks that pop up, some of the harmonising. It doesn't smack you in the face and scream Burnage, but there's definitely a vibe in there. In fact it reminds me of some of the more interesting stuff on Be Here Now, such as the title track and 'Fade In-Out'.

Tess's voice is memorable. Gravely and laconic, it conjures up a world-weariness which puts paid to any notion that she doesn't really feel the things she is singing about. 

'We Are The Music Makers And We Are The Dreamers' sounds like the kind of tune Noel Gallagher would love to write if he had the guts, while 'Brexit At Tiffany's' feels like an Allen Ginsberg poem delivered over a jam by The Doors.

Like all of the album, 'Old Life' shows great production choices. The restrained percussion sits in place perfectly where it would have been easy to smash out something on a full kit. 

'Do You Pray?' sees Tess let her hair down on a sort of trippy reimagining of 'Oh When The Saints Go Marching In'.

This isn't an album I would usually buy. It's not really my genre but but but I do really like the record. The production is great, the songs have real meaning, and you get the sense that Tess is pushing herself.

I can't really give it a rating (as she's a friend so I wouldn't be objective) except to say: buy it. It's really great and Tess is ace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Of - James

Released: 1998 Label: Fontana When I bought: Can't remember James are one of the great under-appreciated UK bands. Sure, 'Sit Down' will pay their pension, but there's so many great tunes that have been swallowed up and forgotten. When people talk about the great UK bands of the 80s and 90s, they never get a nod. Early in the band's career saw an involvement with Factory Records, but they rarely get a mention when that label is talked about. I remember very clearly when this singles collection was released. It was one of the records that made up the soundtrack to my summer of 1998. I was 13 years old, and into two things: football and music.  At that age I used to spend most of my non-school time in a park at the end of the road I lived in in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, playing football with a bunch of lads about 3 or 4 years older who lived in the neighbourhood. They always had cool CDs, and one of them was this. Seemingly endless games of headers and vo

Life For Rent - Dido

  Released: 2003 Label: Arista When I bought: 2003 See, I *told* you this would be every record I own picked at random by my daughter. Otherwise, in the name of credibility, I might have conveniently forgotten to include this record.  Look, I've always been a pop music fan. I grew up with three sisters, and a father who thinks Pete Waterman is a musical genius. Pure pop was always part of my musical palette. So yes, there are pop albums in my collection. It's easy to forget just how huge Dido was. Around 2003/2004 she was, for a time, the biggest pop singer in the UK. Her debut album was the second biggest selling record of the 2000s, and follow-up 'Life For Rent', is seventh on that list. I bought this album in 2003. I have strong memories of listening to it when I was briefly at University of Glamorgan studying English. I dropped out after a few months, partly because I was going a bit mad, and partly because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but being i

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

Released: 1967 Label: Verve Records (this CD, Polydor) When I bought: Received as a present in 2010 What is there left to say about an album that is so revered it has an almost mythical status? Famously low-selling on its initial 1967 release – although every one who bought a copy went on to form a band, according to Brian Eno - the record pretty much invented art-rock. Produced by Andy Warhol, who of course did the art work, without this record there wouldn't have been Bowie, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Strokes etc etc etc. It's a cult classic, but does it still hold up? Track opener 'Sunday Morning' is perhaps one of the most beautiful and delicate beginnings to any album ever, and provides a contrast to the album closer 'European Son', which ends the record with a cacophony of a-tonal guitars. These two tracks really show the album for what it is: the come up and the come down. The party and the hangover. There are songs on this album that lesser bands have bui