Skip to main content

48:13 - Kasabian


Year Released: 2014

Label: Columbia

Year Bought: 2014

For some reason, and I genuinely can't remember why, I was anti-Kasabian when they first came out. 

Perhaps I was too enthralled by the more post-punk vibes of their contemporaries such as Bloc Party and Franz Ferdinand, and I dismissed the lads from Leicester as nothing more than Oasis wannabes.

Anyway, I was wrong, and Kasabian have not only outlasted many of those bands, they clearly have a great back catalogue.

48:13 was their fifth album, and I bought it after watching them headline Glastonbury in 2014 (as in, I was actually at the festival). They were brilliant that night. The crowd - full of flags and flares - were totally enthralled, and it was one of those sets where you were reminded of just how many brilliant songs a group has written. They really are the perfect festival band.

This album - the only Kasabian record I own - is a synth heavy record with proper boisterous bangers. It is peppered with electronica and hip-hop influenced beats, with everything dialled all the way to 11 for most of it.

The lead single 'eez-eh' is actually one of the weaker tracks on the album, almost straying into the novelty record 'Girls & Boys' by Blur flirted with.

'Eez-eh' is buried towards the end of the record, and before then there are some great tracks.

'Bumblebee' is absolutely classic Kasabian, and testament to the fact they are the only band to channel that Liam Gallagher swagger without it being cringe.

'Stevie' starts off with strings and brass before building into another absolute stomper, while 'treat' is a sinister tune with that trademark Kasabian low-slung verse melody before going up a notch.

It's not all lads lads lads, with 'bow' showing some actual vulnerability, and album closer 's.p.s' a straight soft rock tune with slide guitars that even has a Beatles-style outro.

Some of the lyrics are a bit jarring. 'Glass' features a pretty by-numbers view of how the man wants to keep us all in boxes yeah. 

'We fought an entire army with a bouquet of flowers back in the '70's , But now you're taught to remain without will until you run out of energy. Afraid that if you strive for an ideal you end up like a Kennedy,' spoken word poet Suli Breaks tells us. So deep. 

Apart from 's.p.s', and the occasional brief instrumental, the album is quite full-on, but it's Kasabian. It's what you want from them. It's songs you can dance to while drinking Red Stripe. It's great.

8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coming Up – Suede

  Year Released: 1996 Label: Nude Year Bought: 2011 I know lots of people love this album, and it has got some great songs on it, but I just can't love it. It's too trebly, too thin, too cold. It kicks off with 'Trash', which is an absolutely brilliant tune with fantastic lyrics. Brett is at his absolute best here, with talk of "nowhere towns" and "cellophane sounds", and being the "litter on the breeze". I love it. But, alas we go from one of Suede's best songs to one of their worst. 'Filmstar' feels incredibly lazy. The riff is nothing, and as for the lyrics:  Filmstar propping up the bar driving in a car it looks so easy Filmstar propping up the bar driving in a car tonight These are Noel Gallagher-on-an-incredibly-bad-day lyrics.  I hate the riff, I hate the chorus, I hate the lyrics. I hate how shiny it is. It's lazy ... which is the title of the next song. This tune sees the first use on the album of the "here the...

Eye To The Telescope – KT Tunstall

Year Released: 2004 Label: Relentless Year Bought: No Idea I'm not sure why I have this record. I have no record of buying it. I've never listened to it. But then I do own two Dido albums so it's not exactly out of character of me to have it. I've always thought KT Tunstall was a pretty cool person. She's clearly talented. But this album, I just can't really connect with it. There's some good tunes on here. 'Black Horse and the Cherry Tree' is great, as is 'Suddenly I See'. 'Another Place To Fall' hints at some darker tones, and 'Under The Weather' builds nicely. But overall it's just all a bit safe. I vaguely remember reading an interview with Tunstall a few years after this came out in which she said the original mix was a lot more rough and bluesy, but the label wanted it more polished. You can definitely hear how this album could have been scuffed up. 'Stopping The Love' is a good example of that. It's a mi...

Love Is Forever - Biff Bang Pow!

Year Released: 1988 Label: Creation Year Bought: 2024 It is a truth universally acknowledged that the only reason to start an independent record label is to put out your own music. I present as evidence, Love is Forever, the fourth album from Biff Bang Pow! You might not have heard of the group, but you've heard of their singer and songwriter: Alan McGee. Released on his own Creation Records label - obviously - the album sees McGee indulge his love of 60s guitar pop. Side A (tracks one to five if you're streaming) has hints of The Smiths, The Byrds and other wall-of-sound guitar bands, but nothing really sticks in the mind. 'She Paints' is the pick of this side, with a guitar intro that sounds a bit George Harrison. An acoustic ballad, McGee delivers the tune in a sort of hushed style, a bit like an early Bobby Gillespie (whom McGee had known since school). "Country girl, you're my obsession," he sings at one point, beating his old friend to the topic by a...