Skip to main content

NME Awards 2004 - Various Artists


 

Released: 2004

Label: NME

When I bought: 2004

In ye olde days before streaming, and even YouTube, it wasn't possible to hear within a matter of moments pretty much every song ever released. Therefore, compilations like this by the NME actually had a degree of value.

Take 'Paperbag Writer' by Radiohead, a b-side from 'There There', the lead single from 2003's Hail to the Thief.

I bought the album but not the single, so I'd never heard this tune. It's a brilliant track, with its electronic shuffle beat and muffled vocals making it sound like a left over from Kid A, or the starting point for Thom Yorke's debut solo album which would be released the following year.

Likewise, 'See You Soon' by Coldplay. A true delight from a 1999 EP, with delicate guitar playing, scarce production, and honest vocal delivery. It's a reminder that once upon a time Chris Martin et al were able to operate with that oft-neglected trait: restraint.

As a snapshot of the music scene in 2004, it sits at a breaking point between the post-Britpop doldrums of the UK music scene, and the rush of bands that released fantastic albums between 2004 and 2007.

The two leaders of that scene in the early days were The Libertines - represented here by a raucous live recording of 'Up The Bracket' which sounds like its going to fall apart at any moment - and Franz Ferdinand, who just a week before this CD was given away with the NME had released their soon-to-be Mercury Prize winning debut album.

This compilation also shows the sound the UK guitar scene was moving away from. Starsailor were always just a bit too milky tea, while Jet's career didn't get much further than wedding-band staple 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' - a live version which is included here.

The cover of the album promises 'Rare and Unreleased', and perhaps it would have been better if The Thrills version of 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me' stayed the latter, likewise with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club struggling their way through the White Stripes 'The Hardest Button to Button'.

'Echoes' by The Rapture is no 'House of Jealous Lovers', but is a glimpse of what would later become that 'nu rave' nonsense that people got excited about for far longer than they should have done.

Unless the Chemical Brothers really went absolutely insane with their remix of Kylie Minogue's hit 'Slow', the track listing on the CD is wrong as track 12 is actually Funeral For A Friend with 'She Drove Me To Daytime Television'. Great title. Awful song. I never liked any of this "shouting-into-a-mic-over-dropped-D-tuning" bands.

The only non-indie/rock nods come from Outkast, perhaps to cash in (can you cash in with a free CD? probably not) with the release of the album being Valentine's Day 2004, and that Kylie remix which is fine, yeah, whatever.

(I've started a Spotify playlist made up of one song from each album I listen to. You can find it here. This one was tricky. I decided to go with Coldplay just because I know there's lots of Radiohead to come)

5/10

Here's the full tracklisting:

1. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - The Hardest Button To Button - Live 3:35

2. Franz Ferdinand - Michael - Live 3:25

3. Outkast - Happy Valentine's Day 5:23

4. The Libertines - Up The Bracket - BBC Radio 1 Live 2:32

5. Coldplay - See You Soon 2:48

6. Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Live 3:50

7. Radiohead - Paperbag Writer 3:57

8. The Strokes - When It Started 2:55

9. The Thrills - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me 3:37

10. The Rapture - Echoes - Live 4:00

11. Starsailor - Hot Burrito #2 3:44

12. Funeral For A Friend - She Drove Me To Daytime Television - Live 7:15

13. Kylie Minogue - Slow - Chemical Brothers Remix 3:39

14. The Von Bondies - Save My Life - BBC Radio 1 Session 2:49

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Of - James

Released: 1998 Label: Fontana When I bought: Can't remember James are one of the great under-appreciated UK bands. Sure, 'Sit Down' will pay their pension, but there's so many great tunes that have been swallowed up and forgotten. When people talk about the great UK bands of the 80s and 90s, they never get a nod. Early in the band's career saw an involvement with Factory Records, but they rarely get a mention when that label is talked about. I remember very clearly when this singles collection was released. It was one of the records that made up the soundtrack to my summer of 1998. I was 13 years old, and into two things: football and music.  At that age I used to spend most of my non-school time in a park at the end of the road I lived in in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, playing football with a bunch of lads about 3 or 4 years older who lived in the neighbourhood. They always had cool CDs, and one of them was this. Seemingly endless games of headers and vo

Life For Rent - Dido

  Released: 2003 Label: Arista When I bought: 2003 See, I *told* you this would be every record I own picked at random by my daughter. Otherwise, in the name of credibility, I might have conveniently forgotten to include this record.  Look, I've always been a pop music fan. I grew up with three sisters, and a father who thinks Pete Waterman is a musical genius. Pure pop was always part of my musical palette. So yes, there are pop albums in my collection. It's easy to forget just how huge Dido was. Around 2003/2004 she was, for a time, the biggest pop singer in the UK. Her debut album was the second biggest selling record of the 2000s, and follow-up 'Life For Rent', is seventh on that list. I bought this album in 2003. I have strong memories of listening to it when I was briefly at University of Glamorgan studying English. I dropped out after a few months, partly because I was going a bit mad, and partly because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but being i

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

Released: 1967 Label: Verve Records (this CD, Polydor) When I bought: Received as a present in 2010 What is there left to say about an album that is so revered it has an almost mythical status? Famously low-selling on its initial 1967 release – although every one who bought a copy went on to form a band, according to Brian Eno - the record pretty much invented art-rock. Produced by Andy Warhol, who of course did the art work, without this record there wouldn't have been Bowie, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Strokes etc etc etc. It's a cult classic, but does it still hold up? Track opener 'Sunday Morning' is perhaps one of the most beautiful and delicate beginnings to any album ever, and provides a contrast to the album closer 'European Son', which ends the record with a cacophony of a-tonal guitars. These two tracks really show the album for what it is: the come up and the come down. The party and the hangover. There are songs on this album that lesser bands have bui