Skip to main content

The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living - The Streets



Released: 2006

Label: Locked On

When I Bought: 2006

When the lead single from The Streets' third album was released, it suggested Mike Skinner was about to shine a light into the dark cave of mid 00s celebrity culture and show us all the worms and rats wriggling and scurrying just out of view.

The track detailed his dalliance with a crack-smoking pop star who managed to keep it nice and clean for her CD:UK appearances.

The tale was couched in the typical Skinner everyman sensibilities, letting us know that yes, when you're a famous boy, it gets really easy to get girls.

But we can still identify with him as "when you try to pull a girl who is also famous too, it feels just like when you wasn't famous."

When the album was released, I looked forward to hearing more tales from the darkness, but actually, the pervading theme of the album is that Skinner was lost in the cave with no light to guide him,

'Prangin Out' is a brilliant opening track. Paranoid, nasty, scratchy – a cocaine comedown committed to record. "This time now I'm drying my eyes and a fucking nosebleed," Skinner admits, over shifting beats and a looped keyboard. The self-hating dialogue being muttered in the background only increases the dread.

Much of the album deals with Skinner struggling with his fame - and struggling with not having to struggle, in some ways. 

His previous record, with the chart-topping 'Dry Your Eyes' made him a wealthy man, and 'Memento Mori' catalogues him spending his cash on cars and clothes. "I think if I could see me now from my growing past, I'd hate the shirted cunt that seems to be so fucking flash," he admits. 

The title track also deals with the realities of being a pop star, as does 'Hotel Expressionism' and 'Two Nations', although neither are particularly good tunes. Indeed, some of this really does sound phoned in.

Aside from the 'fame is hell/boring/fun/druggy' tracks, Skinner throws in a couple of emotionally led songs.

'All Goes Out The Window' is a great slice of RnB about infidelity and is up there with his best work. It's one of the best sounding tracks on the album, with some great vocals from collaborator Leo the Lion.

'Never Went To Church' has painfully honest lyrics about the loss of Skinner's father, delivered over the chords of 'Let It Be'. When I listened to this when it came out in 2006, I dismissed the track as just a by-numbers attempt to recreate the emotional impact of 'Dry Your Eyes', but 18 years on, and having seen more of life, I find it a more moving piece of music. So it goes. 

Of the first three Streets albums, this is the weakest. Yes, there are some good tracks - 'Prangin' Out', 'All Goes Out The Window', 'When You Wasn't Famous', 'Never Went To Church' - but there's also some real misfires. 'War of the Sexes' and 'Can't Con An Honest John' almost turn Skinner into a novelty act, and album closer 'Fake Streets Hats' is better as an anecdote than a song.

Ultimately, comedowns aren't fun.

6/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Of - James

Released: 1998 Label: Fontana When I bought: Can't remember James are one of the great under-appreciated UK bands. Sure, 'Sit Down' will pay their pension, but there's so many great tunes that have been swallowed up and forgotten. When people talk about the great UK bands of the 80s and 90s, they never get a nod. Early in the band's career saw an involvement with Factory Records, but they rarely get a mention when that label is talked about. I remember very clearly when this singles collection was released. It was one of the records that made up the soundtrack to my summer of 1998. I was 13 years old, and into two things: football and music.  At that age I used to spend most of my non-school time in a park at the end of the road I lived in in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, playing football with a bunch of lads about 3 or 4 years older who lived in the neighbourhood. They always had cool CDs, and one of them was this. Seemingly endless games of headers and vo

Life For Rent - Dido

  Released: 2003 Label: Arista When I bought: 2003 See, I *told* you this would be every record I own picked at random by my daughter. Otherwise, in the name of credibility, I might have conveniently forgotten to include this record.  Look, I've always been a pop music fan. I grew up with three sisters, and a father who thinks Pete Waterman is a musical genius. Pure pop was always part of my musical palette. So yes, there are pop albums in my collection. It's easy to forget just how huge Dido was. Around 2003/2004 she was, for a time, the biggest pop singer in the UK. Her debut album was the second biggest selling record of the 2000s, and follow-up 'Life For Rent', is seventh on that list. I bought this album in 2003. I have strong memories of listening to it when I was briefly at University of Glamorgan studying English. I dropped out after a few months, partly because I was going a bit mad, and partly because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, but being i

The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground

Released: 1967 Label: Verve Records (this CD, Polydor) When I bought: Received as a present in 2010 What is there left to say about an album that is so revered it has an almost mythical status? Famously low-selling on its initial 1967 release – although every one who bought a copy went on to form a band, according to Brian Eno - the record pretty much invented art-rock. Produced by Andy Warhol, who of course did the art work, without this record there wouldn't have been Bowie, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Strokes etc etc etc. It's a cult classic, but does it still hold up? Track opener 'Sunday Morning' is perhaps one of the most beautiful and delicate beginnings to any album ever, and provides a contrast to the album closer 'European Son', which ends the record with a cacophony of a-tonal guitars. These two tracks really show the album for what it is: the come up and the come down. The party and the hangover. There are songs on this album that lesser bands have bui